Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tribute to my precious little Cocoa

There are some outside cats that we feed. One of them, Reese's (named so because of her chocolate and peanut butter coloring) had her first litter of kittens last year at the end of May. One of her babies, Cocoa(named because she looks exactly like her Mama, and was predominately brown with some orange markings and an absolutely adorable orange foot and leg) was found by us yesterday in the road. She had gotten run over and was obviously instantly killed. I cried and cried in my room last night as I watched out my window as Mama and Daddy buried her in our backyard. Needless to say, yesterday was a horrible day for me. Little Cocoa had been brought to us from the woods by her Mama at a time in her young life when she was already scared of people. It took a lot of patience and a great deal of time, but I finally got her tamed, and after working with her for so long, we had developed a very special bond. Whenever I would open the door to step outside, she would back away a bit because she was still a little timid. But once she discovered that it was me, and I called her to me, she would immediately walk over. I would pick her up and she would start purring profusely; she'd always gaze up into my eyes or give me a little kiss on the cheek. She was a really sweet little girl. The following is a tribute to my sweet little baby, Cocoa, who will be in my heart forever and ever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cocoa

May 2007 to April 6th or 7th, 2008

In our eyes, your life was far too short, my sweet girl. But in the Lord's eyes, everything in your little life went according to His perfect will and plan. At times, I feel like screaming out to God, "Why did you take her so soon?! She was such a joy to me!". But then I have to step back and look on the bright side-you brought such joy to us, you had a happy little life, and you suffered from no pain or fright when you died. For that, I will be eternally thankful to my merciful Father.

Your life was so short-only 10 1/2 months-but those were such joyous months! :) I so enjoyed the time I spent with you. You were so recognizable by your little orange leg, sweet girl. :) Your cute little perfectly circular eyes used to look up at me with a look of love as I held you. You brought me such joy, and you will be in my heart forever and ever! I miss you terribly, and wish you were still here with us. A part of me almost believes that as soon as I open the front door, you'll come running. I know that isn't the case, though, and I know that I'll never be able to hold my little sweetie again. Just know how much I love you! I'm crying as I type this, sweetie, because I just love and miss you so much. I would give anything to be able to hold you again just once. I miss being able to cuddle you. A part of you will always live on in your Mama-whenever I look at her, your look-alike, I'll think of you with fond and joyous memories, but also with a heavy heart. I love you so, so much, sweet baby, and I will always carry a picture of you in my mind forever and ever. Thank you for blessing my life so richly like you did while you were here with us. Thank you, God, for those few short months that I had with her.

I miss you, sweet girl, but will never forget you!! Everyday, I'll look in our back yard at your little burial spot and will remember all the joy you brought to me. I love you, little Cocoa.

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."

~Job 1:21b

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry, Rebekah! She sounds so dear!

    <3,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm so sorry Bekah! I know what thats like....

    ~hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry when I was a child one of my cats died because she ate kitty litter. It was so sad! we named her caramel because it looked as if she had a drop of caramel slidding off her face. She was my favorite one!

    http://adlynmorrison.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rebekah,
    Thanks for stopping by Alabaster Box and for your sweet comment. I too have missed your comments.

    I am truly sorry about your little cat... I can relate. My first horse had to be put down because he went blind when I was around 14 or 15 years old. I was heart broken and can truly feel your pain.
    God cares about your hurting heart for He is near the brokenhearted.

    Praying you feel His comfort today,
    Kaysie

    I don't know if you have been to my new site...
    www.myinnersanctuary.com
    This is my more personal blog that is updated a little more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry to hear about that, Rebekah. :( Pets can be such sweet companions, and I know it's hard to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Rebekah,
    Thank you for all my comments! I enjoyed reading them!
    I can't wait to meet you! When and where? Would during the ice cream social work?
    This will be my second time to attend the retreat. I attended three years ago when I was twelve. This year my sister will be coming too.
    I have not read "So Much More," but I have greatly enjoyed the Botkin sisters documentary. Have you seen it? I am going to get the soundtrack from the movie while I'm there!
    Just two more days! I can't wait!
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Rebekah. I remember going through that when my bird died unexpectedly. However, it always seems difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you lost your cat! That must be hard. =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebekah,

    I don't imagine you'll read this until you get back, but I did want to reach out and offer you a "virtual hug" for the sake of your sweet Cocoa. I would have read this much sooner but it's been a busy week, and I am sorry for getting to you this late!

    There's really something so unique about the bond that can develop between humans and animals; every time I lose one of my pets, I know a little piece of my heart will never be the same again. Your post reminded me of all of them-- the dogs, cats and all other furry friends I've lost in the past. I'm so very sorry, sweetie; I hope it was quick for her, and I am very much praying that your fun weekend with your father will provide you with just the distraction you need. Hugs to you!

    Much love in Christ,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Rebekah! My dog had to put down because he bit someone! I absolutely know what it is like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about your sweet little kitty, Rebekah! My family had two darling cats of our own. They're such treasures!

    Your story reminds me of our pastor's daughter, who returned from a missionary trip to Africa and adopted a little black puppy, which she named Boji (this is actually an African name). He tragically died of sickness.

    I'm sorry I didn't hear about this sooner. For comfort, though, I like to think of Jesus holding His precious creatures close :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi!! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Please come back often. Thank you for your comment as well; your input is always most welcome! Even if you disagree with something, I encourage you to leave a comment; I just ask that you do so in a loving and Christ-like manner.

God bless you!

~Rebekah S.