Friday, December 28, 2007

Question and Answer Week: Responses Part 3

I received the following question from a new friend of mine, Kathleen, who I met through blogland! :)

Thanks so much for your question, Kathleen!! If you have anymore, please don't hesitate to send them to me!

What sort of homeschooling do you do? What is your family's approach? (Classical, school-at-home/curriculum, Charlotte Mason, eclectic...)

Great question! I'm currently in 10th grade. For the past 10 years of my homeschooling(kindergarten through 9th grade), we did things a little differently than we're doing this year(and will be doing the next 2 years). For the past 10 years, we had used the ABeka curriculum(a great Christian curriculum) for every subject. This year, we're only using it for my science(biology), math (geometry), and spelling. This year, however, we decided that I needed more in-depth study. We were amazed when we found out that Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin had the equivalents of college educations at the ages of 17 and 15 respectively. That knowledge has been the motivation for what we're doing now with our homeschooling. As I said, I still use ABeka for the above mentioned subjects. With history, and Bible(theology) however, I'm reading various books, rather than just a textbook for the whole year. This is providing me with a much more in-depth study of these subjects, and has truly been a blessing so far. In fact, I'm reading some college-level books(such as Christianity and the Constitution by Mr. Eidsmoe). We get these books from Vision Forum, American Vision, etc. For English/Composition class, I'm studying various topics such as feminism, and am writing articles and essays on those topics(I will be posting these articles here on the blog as they're written!). My little 9 year old brother, Andrew, is being homeschooled as I was at his age, and will continue to be until about 7th grade, at which time he will begin schooling as I am now.

Thanks so much for your question!

1 comment:

  1. Neat. Don't forget to read the classics!Have you ever read "A Thomas Jefferson Education" by Oliver DeMille?

    ReplyDelete

Hi!! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Please come back often. Thank you for your comment as well; your input is always most welcome! Even if you disagree with something, I encourage you to leave a comment; I just ask that you do so in a loving and Christ-like manner.

God bless you!

~Rebekah S.